Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Cleans, Squats, Rows


Despite being woken up at 1:30am (and then again at 5am) to take my dog outside because he has the "poopies", I wasn't tired when I hit the gym at 1pm today for a good workout.


In fact, I was pretty jacked up and ready to go all morning. I want to go in and train again tomorrow, but will force myself to have an off day and deadlift on Friday.


Here's what I did...


1) Hang Clean - sets of 5


2) Wide Stance Squat - worked up to 355


3A) Narrow Stance Squat - 245x3x12
3B) DB Triceps Extensions - 40x3x8


4A) Back Extension - 25x3x10
4B) Seated Narrow Grip Row - 175x2x12


50 minutes. I didn't rest much between sets.


After the workout I had a chocolate milk and 4 fresh cherry licorice.


Then did a bunch of phone interviews to promote the best fat loss program ever.


And finally, I finalized my trip details for UFC 98 in Vegas. Heading there with the guys from http://www.crashmma.com/


Hope you are loving your workouts too,


Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS


PS - Here's the best TT workout program that is similar to my current workout:


Turbulence Training for Meatheads Workout




6 comments:

Charlie said...

Hey Craig,
I was just wondering- I was recently diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, which means my metabolism is ridiculously slow. I'm 26, with a normal BMI, but the condition has made me put on an additional 10 pounds or so, which is bugging the hell out of me. I've tried everything to get it off and have recently started turbulence and interval training. My diet is really good- based on fruit, veg and lean protein- but I still seem to be having trouble shifting the scale. Is there anything else you can recommend to speed things up?
Thanks so much!

Charlotte
P.S Your puppy is off-the-hook adorable!

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Hey!

Sorry to hear about that...is there anything you can do to get your thyroid back to normal?

Charlie said...

It's quite a common problem amongst women, but it usually comes on a bit later in life. I've started taking a lose dose of the hormone thyroxine, which is supposed to replace what my body doesn't produce, but so far I can't really see that it's helping too much. At this point I'm trying to get my metabolism back up as much as I can. I'm hoping the turbulence training will help there. I've done a lot of dance in the past, so I've relied quite heavily on cardio up to this point- the typical dancer's fear of bulking up. I've noticed that turbulence training in men tends to produce a lot of bulk, but this isn't necessarily the case for women, right?

Anonymous said...

I think that it will be difficult to lose the extra weight until your hypothyroidism is treated. It will most likely take 4-6 weeks before the full effects of the thyroid medication take effect.

Cookie Lady said...

Charlie,

My daughter had hashimoto's - which results in an underperforming thyroid. You should check to see if you have antibodies. If you do, a bit of T4 now will not continue to solve the problem. You might also want to check into iodine (iodorol)

Good luck. I am older than you are, but I have found that these workouts are helping me to slowly move some of the weight. Eat Stop Eat is also helping.

Charlie said...

Thanks for the comments guys- this morning I jumped on the scale and found to my amazement that I'd lost two pounds- after four months of trying everything! So I'll stick with the program and keep my fingers crossed.
Cookie Lady- I was just wondering- I've heard about eatstopeat, but I'm concerned that the fasting would slow my already sluggish metabolism even more. How are you finding it?