Friday, July 14, 2006

Nick's Muscle Building Secrets



Last email from Nick this week...only today, we switch gears and discuss his muscle building secrets.

CB: Let's switch over to building mass. What kind of split routine do you follow?

NN:
Right now, for mass building, it varies quite a lot.

I have a program that I've created that basically breaks most of the rules that you'll read in bodybuilding magazines and books.

I switch my splits from upper body/lower body, to total body training, to mixed bodyparts, to specialization, all in the course of a few weeks. There are times when I'll train a bodypart 3 days in a row. I'll be publishing this program later this year but the fundamental idea is that you don't need to overload your body with excess calories to gain muscle and strength.

With the right combination of training and nutrition, you can actually gain muscle and strength while eating below maintenance calorie levels.

My first round through it, I gained 8 pounds in 8 weeks without eating over maintenance calorie levels. For an experienced lifter, that's a pretty substantial gain. Keep your eyes open for it!

(Click here to visit Nick's website)

CB: Indeed I will. What type of exercises do you use? Do you use a lot of your own exercise inventions here as well?

NN:
When going for mass, I generally stick to the basic exercise patterns.

I say "patterns" because I don't always do the same standard form each time. I add in my own variations of the basic exercises when I feel it's necessary.

Quite often, I will just stick with the basics, though. They work! One thing I do want to make clear is that training specificity is extremely important when trying to build mass and strength.

While I do change exercises and use variations, it's extremely important to also do some of the same exercises regularly before switching them up. If you don't give your body the same training stimulus for at least a little while, it won't know what it needs to adapt to and nothing will happen. So basically, I don't change exercises every day but I try to rotate new ones in.

CB: Very good point. What rep range do you use in your mass programs?

NN:
It depends on the specific training techniques I'm using but it ranges from 3 - 4 reps (for strength and connective tissue training) to 100 reps or more (for increasing blood volume and capillarization of the muscles).

CB: Have you tried all of the "mass building philosophies" out there, like HIT, Superslow, Power Factor, Max-OT, etc.? Any comments on what works and what is overhyped?

NN:
I've used a lot of different training techniques that are out there and actually have incorporated a few of their principles into my own programs. HIT I've found to be not effective for me at all.

I do better on a volume-based approach. It can work for some but I haven't gotten good results with it.

Superslow basically goes against the basic physiology of how a muscle produces force. To really build strength and muscle, you need to move the weight at a faster pace and use a heavier weight.

Superslow is very dangerous for athletes as well - it will teach the muscles to move slowly and they won't respond well on the field. Who wants to train to be slow?!When a "superslow" athletes goes out on the field and loads the muscles with explosive bursts (like what happens in almost all sports), injuries are inevitable.

Power Factor - very good technique. I use some of the principles in my own training (especially the heavy partials and the volume approach).

Max-OT is a good program with more in common with HIT training. I've seen better results with greater bodypart training frequency and lower individual bodypart volume myself (this means instead of working the biceps once a week with a lot of sets in a workout, I work the biceps 3 times a week with fewer sets).

Leo Costas programs (Serious Growth, Bulgarian Burst, etc.) are excellent. I've always gotten great results with those. There are plenty of good, effective programs out there. There is also some real garbage, too.

CB: What's in your typical post-workout shake? Have you found any other supplements to be effective for mass building and strength workouts?

NN:
My typical post-workout shake is protein, glutamine, greens powder, vitamin C, and a simple sugar source (like Tang drink mix). Sometimes, creatine will be there as well.

I also take a multi-vitamin, calcium/magnesium, anti-oxidant, and joint nutrients like glucosamine and MSM.

I've been testing a lot of different supplements recently but other than the basics like creatine, protein and glutamine, I haven't found any that really lived up to the hype.

I've even tried some with research behind them and haven't seen a big difference over and above the basics (and I'm training hard enough where I should notice a difference).

In a nutshell, get your nutrition in order first. You'll get better results by spending your money on good food than on most of the supplements you see in the magazines.

CB: Thanks Nick.

More great stuff from Nick.

Click here to visit Nick's website

Remember, there's no point in trying to lose fat if you don't have any muscle underneath,

CB

No comments: