Saturday, January 24, 2009

Turbulence Training Bodyweight TV Commercial Workout

It's "upper body mania" this week at Turbulence Training...and in this week'scoaching call I cover two "get your pump on" workouts.

I must have been feeling pretty meat-headish with this one...although the other
workout I give you is great for sexy legs and abs. Plus, I share a powerfulnew research paper on how to get social support for fat loss.

=> Click here to listen to this week's fat burning call

Or read a summary of all the tips here...

Monday - Jan 26th
I stumbled upon a new research paper about social support for fat loss and it basically tells us that we need to expand our social circles in order to find the right support for fat loss. After all, if hanging around our current friends has only made us eat more and exercise less, how can we expect that to change?

We need to make new friends at the gym or online (ie. in the Turbulence Training forum) to support us in our body sculpting goals. So get out there and get more support to help you burn fat!

Now it's time to review Workout A of the classic Turblence Training TT2K5 program. (Listen to the call for the alternative exercises I recommend.)

1A) Squat or 1-Leg Squat (8 reps)
1B) DB Chest Press or Bench Press (6 reps)

2A) DB RDL (8 reps)
2B) Spiderman Pushup (5 reps)

3A) DB Step-up (10 reps)
3B) DB Rear-Delt Raise (12 reps)

Advanced Interval Workout A-II

Tuesday
Off-day...so 30 minutes of fun activity. You could do a "recovery session" of stretching, foam rolling, and easy bodyweight exercise.

Also, I'll be traveling on Tuesday, so let's go over an airport diet tip. First of all, you could take Brad Pilon's recommendation and fast on your travel day using Eat Stop Eat. I did another fast on Saturday as part of a lifestyle experiment. It went well!

But when I travel, I simply like to pack raw almonds, raw cashews, and apples. Easy travel eating.

Wednesday
Let's look at Workout B of TT2K5

1A) Pull-ups or DB Pullover (8 reps)
1B) DB Floor Press (8 reps)

2A) Chin-ups or DB Row (8 reps)
2B) DB Incline Press (8 reps)

3A) Inverted Row (15 reps)
3B) Decline Pushups (20 reps)

And now let's look at my meathead upper body workout that is part of my new personal 4-week program. As you can see I'm playing around with a higher volume approach this month. But also sticking to a 3-day per week program.

1A) Incline Bench (3x5)
1B) Seated Row (4x8)

2A) DB Press (4x10)
2B) Wide-grip BB Row (4x10)

3A) DB Triceps Extension (4x10)
3B) BB Curl (4x10)

4A) BB Shrug (3x15)
4B) Rotator Cuff Strength (3x10)

Thursday
Get 30 minutes of fun activity. You might even try a little workout while watching TV.

During commercials, dedicate one bodyweight exercise to each commercial. I think commercials are still 30 seconds long, so you could do 30 seconds of bodyweight squats followed by 30 seconds of pushups followed by 30 seconds of 1-leg hip extensions and then a 30 second plank.

Friday
Finish your week with a TT Workout, and try out the new timed bodyweight intervals.

=> Click here for the Timed Bodyweight Interval Video

Saturday
It's "social support Saturday". You should always check in with your support group on Saturday. So drop by the TT member's forum. Always keep pushing one another positively.

Sunday
It's "shopping Sunday". Here are 5 foods I added to my groceries this week.

Hummus, almond butter; coconut milk, almond milk, cacao nibs. I also read through a new healthy eating guide. You'll love the recipes in the Ultimate Healthy Eating Guide.

=> Click here to grab your copy of the Ultimate Healthy Eating Guide & Recipe Book

Allright, that's it. I'll be offline from Wednesday, January 28th till Monday, February 2nd. Heading to Baja to do an off-road car race. Should be fun. But we'll set up another call and summary to go out next Sunday.

Next week!
- More transformation tips
- Dissect TT2K6
- Diet tips

Stay strong,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS

PS - Still skeptical?

You can take the $4.95 trial offer and test drive the Turbulence Training workouts for 21 days.

=> Click here for the Turbulence Training Trial Offer

"I lost 14 pounds this month and the weight is just falling off me. My wife says I now look like when we first met and I still have more to go. I can fit into my old jeans again which is a big deal for me. I just cut back on starches and bread and do your routine 2-3 times a week. I never thought in a million years that just 10-20 minutes of weight training followed by some cardio would get me such steady results. I even cheat a bit on the weekends."
Billy Williams

6 comments:

ksmall1998 said...

Have fun in Baja. That will be a blast!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig. I am enjoying and getting great results with TT workouts. I've only been at your program a short while but I have seen my legs getting stronger & more defined.

Here is my issue. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Dec. 2007. I have had 3 surgeries in the last year, and with the loss of lymph nodes & the reconstruction still healing, I can not do pushups or pullups. I can do some chest presses, but with light weights. Do you have any alterations for someone like me?

Thanks,
Margaret

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Hi Margaret! Thanks for the question. Can you ask your therapist for recommendations? They would be the better experts to ask.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Margaret,
If you had a mastectomy, you might (or might not) have weaknesses in your pectorals, serratus anterior an/or your lats. However, it is likely you have none. You can do all sorts of workouts, but start gradually, and then scale up (in a few weeks or months) to pull-ups and push-ups (the former is the hardest for women).
BTW, I am a surgeon, and not a fitness expert. A keen student of fitness.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the feedback. During one of the surgeries a nerve to my shoulder muscles was cut. The surgeon said most people wouldn't notice the difference, but that I might. I did end up having a mastectomy and all the lymph nodes removed. Now with radiation, I am losing some of the range of motion, but working hard to keep that.

Margaret

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret,
As a physical therapist, I can tell you that keeping and increasing your correct range of motion is the most important thing you can do right now. Because of the scar tissue and relative inactivity, your muscles might not work together correctly. This could have been the case before your surgery also, but having had surgeries makes this asynchronicity more likely. Your therapist will definitely have some options for alternative exercises, but you have to "walk before you can run" and they should be able to tell you if your scapula and upper arm are moving correctly in relation to one another. Until that happens or at least improves, there is no need to try more strength building exercises. Just trying to get your shoulders to move corectly can be incredibly tiring and the rewards will last for years as you progress without injury.

Joe