Alright, let's say you go into the gym and it's waaaaaaay too busy (or you are exercising at home with only one set of adjustable dumbbells) and you need some alternative exercises.
What can you do in place of dumbbell presses, dumbbell rows, split squats, etc.?
Well, here are 27 alternative exercises for you.
Situation #1 - You can't do dumbbell chest presses because all the benches are taken, so you can do...
- close-grip pushups
- decline pushup
- elevated pushups
- off-set pushups
- pushups with your feet on the ball
- pushups with your hands on the ball
- spiderman pushups
- pike pushups
- or possibly the hardest two hand pushup of them all, decline close-grip spiderman pushups
Situation #2 - You're superset calls for dumbbell chest presses and dumbbell split squats, but you only have one set of dumbbells and you're set on doing the chest presses...what can you do for your legs?
- 1-leg lying hip extensions for beginners
- high-rep Bulgarian split squats for advanced
- high-rep split squats with your front foot elevated 4-6 inches for intermediate
- 1-leg deadlifts
- 1-leg squats onto bench
- 1-leg squats standing on the bench
- reaching lunges
Situation #3 - You're at the gym on a busy Monday night and your superset calls for dumbbell rows and stability ball leg curls, but all of the dumbbells are taken. What alternatives can you do using a pullup bar or smith machine?
Using the smith machine, you can do...
- inverted rows
- underhand inverted rows
- inverted rows with your feet on the ball
- inverted rows holding the ends of a towel hung over the bar (advanced grip strength there!)
Using the pullup bar, you can do...
- eccentric pull-ups
- regular pull-ups
- sternum pull-ups
- side to side pull-ups
Interested in how to do some of those "exotic" exercises? Grab the TT bodyweight DVD's while they are still on sale...but ONLY before 10pm EST tonight, Friday, January 23rd...
=> Click here to save $100 on the Bodyweight DVD's - SALE ends Friday at 10pm!
Would like to hear your exercise suggestions too,
Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS
PS - In fact, I've added three FULL workout videos to the Bodyweight Cardio website...
One of them is even a "follow along" beginners bodyweight workout you can do without a single piece of equipment. Great for hotel rooms and parks.
Scroll through this site to watch the sample bodyweight programs you can do without dumbbells or barbells: