Monday, July 09, 2007

Fat Burning Interval Secrets

You need to know how to use intervals correctly in order to get the most out of them.

Simply jumping on the elliptical machine and using the built-in "intervals" program is about as effective for fat loss as using the built-in "fat burning zone workout".

Fortunately, strength coach Jason Ferrugia recently grilled me about fat loss, and interval training. Here's a sneak preview of my reply.

JF: I know you are a big fan of interval training. What are your favorite methods of interval training?

CB:

Sprinting is the best method, without a doubt.

So whether it's running intervals on the track, uphill sprints, or treadmill running, that's clearly the most effective method.

Moving your own bodyweight over a distance is the true definition of work, and that can be done at a high intensity.

Strongman methods are also top-notch. Pushing the truck, pulling the sled, flipping the tire, these are all great ways to do your interval training.

A little word of caution here though, as both sprinting and strongman training methods can be very intense, so you do need to warm-up more than adequately. Don't just jump into sprinting outside or you could strain a muscle.

And be conservative with the volume. If you haven't done truck pushing intervals in 6 months, or ever, don't do 5 or 6 of them because you'll be puking your guts out. That being said, both of these methods are great because you are doing a lot of work in a short amount of time.

My next two favorite methods are bodyweight training and cycling. Both can be done with less need for an extensive warm-up, but both will really help you slash the fat.

I've been on a big bodyweight kick over the past year (and even put together over 75 different bodyweight exercises into a 6-Month BODYWEIGHT Turbulence Training manual) and it includes some very tough bodyweight interval circuits. It's great 'real-world' conditioning for athletes, and everyday people.

The bodyweight workouts and circuits can be humbling, but build 'everyday' strength.

I'm also partial to stationary cycling. Because you are cycling against a resistance you can do a lot of work. Doing a lot of high-intensity work means burning a lot of energy during the training the session and after (what I call putting your body into Turbulence).

Just be careful with overuse injuries on the bike...as being in that hunched position can be rough on the low-back and can tighten up the psoas and rectus femoris muscles.

Rowing is okay for interval training. And simple walking at faster speeds or inclines is perfect for beginners. Remember that interval training is relative. What is an interval for me might not be an interval for you, or for Lance Armstrong.

Elliptical training machines are useless for intervals. These things are one of the biggest wastes of space in commercial gyms today.

As far as timing goes, there is no one best interval length for fat loss. I use everything from 20 seconds to 3 minutes for the length of the work interval. For the shorter sprints, I use 60-90 seconds rest, and for the longer aerobic intervals (i.e. 2-3 minutes) you would rest an equal amount of time as the work interval lasted. These are excellent not only for fat burning but for improving sport-specific conditioning.

One thing that has never made sense to me is the Tabata protocol for intervals (and if you don't know what it is, don't worry about it). The rest intervals are too short to allow high quality work...and that's what Turbulence Training is all about - quality over quantity.

***********

By following the interval guidelines, you might be able to accomplish this level of success...

"At the end of week one, I lost 3.5 pounds and I was feeling great. Yesterday was the end of week two and I lost 3 more pounds! Six and a half pounds in two weeks and I feel outstanding. Not the least bit tired or weak. I've never been so enthusiastic about each workout. I didn't bother to take a 'before' photo, but I may still do that. I would have touched base with you sooner, but with work, school, training, etc., I'm always pressed for time. And of course, that's what makes Turbulence Training such a convenient program."
Chuck Fager

Get the July Workout for my NEW interval program

Efficient and effective training,

CB

More TT feedback...

"I went from 227lbs to 209lbs in 8 weeks using the TT program. I figure fat loss was even higher because as I definitely gained muscle in the process. The program simply put...WORKS."

Dion Guerin, Toronto, Sales Executive

For maximum fat loss:

All you need are dumbbells and some space to exercise at home. Click here to get started.


No comments: