Monday, May 05, 2014

Squats and Sparks

Today was barbell workout #1 of my new personal 4-week program. Frankly, I wanted to start the week with deadlifts, but my grip strength is weak and biceps are a little sore from Saturday's intervals. Weird. I don't run that much anymore, and I think pumping my arms while sprinting left them sore.

Anyways, so I squatted. And it was really, really great. I also ate about 6,000 calories on Saturday, so that helped!

Today's workout:

1A) Squat
1B) Box Jump

2A) Good Morning
2B) Front Squat

Also, as I shared in today's email:

Nicholas Sparks, the famous romance novelist. Nick is a member of the Atlas 400 group, and he was training hard. Nick is getting in shape for an upcoming GQ photoshoot for his latest movie starring young, beautiful actors I have never heard of…

Everyone knows Nick as the author of The Notebook, but few people know he is also an accomplished track coach and knows more about working out than many trainers I've met.


In fact, Nick coached his son to a world junior indoor track record (4×400 meters, New Bern High School, North Carolina).


Nick and I spent an hour trying to "out-do" one another with short workout routines and awesome new exercises. He was already using one of my favorite "little known" exercises, the TBX, in his daily workouts. Here's a 10 minute workout we came up for you.


The Nicholas Sparks "Fat Loss in a Bottle" Circuit Workout

1) Total Body Extensions – 20 reps
2) Inchworm + Pushups  – 5 reps (do 5 pushups each inchworm)
3) Burpees – 10 reps
- Rest 30 seconds
- Repeat as many times as you can in 10 minutes

***
Alright, off to work on a program for Womens Health magazine.

Enjoy,

Craig Ballantyne

PS - today's kickbutt mindset tip:

Get outside your comfort zone today. Challenge yourself. Man-Up. Have the difficult conversations. Make the hard decisions. Make today count.

--
Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer
www.TurbulenceTrainingFanpage.com

No comments: