Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Supplement Scams

My #1 client hit me with an email today, asking, "What do you think of a supplement called _____?" (Name removed to protect the guilty!)

Now _____ is a popular "fat burner", but let me tell you, I don't think too much of it (or any fat burner product, for that matter).

Almost every fat burner on the market is a glorified caffeine pill. And there really isn't one product on the market with a well-done, scientific study supporting it's use.

As I told my client, "You know the secrets: Hard work, done consistently, and proper nutrition.

That's all it takes to get the body you want" (which he has too, going from 210 and 20% body fat to 175 and single-digit body fat, all while reaching his top fitness level ever).

Back to supplements...I'm not convinced that there is one ingredient out there that will have a significant impact on your fat loss. Whether it's caffeine, calcium, pyruvate, chitosan, forskolin, or even my beloved Green Tea and fish oils, I don't think you'll lose any extra fat if you use these products (although Green Tea, calcium and fish oils can significantly improve your health).

So it's time to expose another myth - the myth that a supplement or ingredient can help you burn more calories and fat and help you achieve the body of your dreams. This is just not going to happen.

Buyer beware, I say. Or buyer be prepared, that's even better. Get to know the truth about these products and whether or not they will do what they say, or just burn a hole in your wallet.

And I guarantee that no one is losing body fat because of caffeine pills. No way.

Let me leave you with this. If you want to really boost your metabolism, do it with the following three steps:

1) Eat several small, protein-based, fiber-rich meals per day. For a great cookbook, get John Berardi's Gourmet Nutrition.

2) Use the Turbulence Training programs. Use your bodyweight & dumbbells to get lean and boost your calorie burning for up to 36 hours after your workout.

3) Harness the metabolism-boosting properties of interval training, and kick traditional cardio to the curb,

CB

P.S. Supplements aren't the answer.
Only hard work and discipline will work.

"Craig, 1 month in and I am sold. My eating is not great yet, but I did not miss a workout in 4 weeks. Can already feel it. I dont hit the 2K3 workout for a nother month or so...I skipped the very beginner workout, and stared with the one after that. Just yesterday I started the original TT workout and it went well...My plan is to progress through the workouts in chronological order and end up woith the workout that was on e of the extras...it's a 4 day a week workout. I hope that's what was intended. I love it...the intensity is steadily building as I am getting in better shape. 45 minutes 3 times a week, can't beat it...thanks!"
Treva Lee, owner of TT for Fat Loss

No comments: