Thursday, February 24, 2011

Customs Hassles Impacts Deadlift Workout

I got home an hour later than expected last night, and didn't get to sleep until 11:30pm. But I was still up at 5:30am to do a bit of work before my deadlift workout.

When I returned from Panama - via Houston - the Canadian Customs line-up was outrageously long. Required about 45 minutes to get through. But worse, I
was pulled aside for a secondary examination.

The reason I suspect?

None of the customs agents could believe I traveled to Panama for 6 days with only a small carry-on bag.

But I use this something called an "Air Boss" bag (made by Red Oxx), and the reason I use it is to pack 7+ days of clothes in a small space. Heck, I spent almost $300 on that bag, which is great for packing but a real pain in the upper back to carry. It's not a roller bag, but can fit in every overhead compartment with a week's worth of clothes.

There's more to the story, and you can read it on my business blog here:

=> http://internetindependence.com/beginner-lessons

Fortunately, thanks to practice, getting up at 5:30am was no problem, and I had a good workout, although my grip strength was weaker than normal. That
might indicated overtraining, according to a strength coach I respect. (I think it was Buddy Morris who said that.)

Today's workout:

1) Power Cleans
2) Rack Pulls
3A) Glute-Ham Raise
3B) Ab wheel

Today's training resource:

I highly recommend this article series that explains everything about training to failure. This might be Jason Ferruggia's best work yet:

=> http://jasonferruggia.com/training-to-failure-part-1/

Today's kickbutt mindset tip:

"You'll be remembered most for the people who say...'You made a difference in my life. Your belief in me changed everything." - Tom Peters

Train smart,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS

PS - You can't get advanced results with "good" efforts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the amount of cross border travelling you do I would suggest you apply for a NEXUS card. Bypasses Custom lines

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

No, not interested in Nexus.