Monday, December 14, 2009

Jersey Renegade Workouts

Last week I traveled down to Jersey for my annual "coaching session" with Jay Ferruggia.

Jay is one of the few trainers in the industry that I actually listen to, and each year (and sometimes twice a year) I spend a lot of money to fly down to Jersey and learn from him at his gym.

After some weather delays, I finally got down there on Thursday for my first workout under his instruction.

Jay runs a hard-core place called:
www.TheRenegadeGym.com and he talks about advanced training on his blog, www.JasonFerruggia.com

(NOTE: Jay has a habit of using strong language, so please don't go to his sites if that offends you.)

For my first workout, here's what he had me do:

1A) Swiss-Bar Bench (the Swiss bar is a weird, multi-grip bar)
1B) DB 1-arm row (worked up to 110 pound dumbbells)

2A) Fat Grip Military Presses using chains
2B) Chest-supported row

3A) Rope rows

4A) Bodyweight Triceps Presses
4B) Chain curls


After that workout a group of us zipped into New York City and went to a raw food restaurant called, "Pure Food and Wine".

I had a salad, followed by raw zucchini lasagna, and then the best chocolate cake dessert of my life. No exaggeration. Unfortunately, I just don't enjoy raw meals...the salads are good, the dessert is good, but I'm not caring for the entrees yet.

On Friday, it was back to the gym so that Jay could coach me on improving my squat form. The second workout went like this:

1) Squats

2A) Glute Ham Raises
2B) KB Shrugs

3A) Back Extensions
3B) Abs

4) Prowler Pushes for interval training

Another great workout.

After all, even coaches need coaches...and I never stop trying to improve. And neither should you.

To your success,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS

PS - Don't forget the one workout rule that Jay and I always emphasize to our clients.

You MUST set a personal best each workout. You always need to be improving.

And if you want to get stronger or gain muscle, I highly recommend Jay's program. Like I said, he's one of the few trainers I go to for advice.

=>
Click here for Jay's workouts

And if you live near central Jersey, the best thing you could do is to workout at his gym in Wachtung.

No comments: