Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Q'n'A: Core Training Workouts, Intervals, Etc.

Core Workouts, Intervals for Fat Loss Workouts

I'm travelling to New Jersey & Connecticut today...so I prepared this fat loss workout Q'n'A for you. I should be reporting back from my travels with some good fat loss info for you...check out my TT blog for updates.

First Question:I was just wondering if there have been any studies done regarding these workouts and those like me who are considered "morbidly" obese. I weigh around 400 pounds and haven't worked out seriously in years. One thing that might come as a surprise to you is I don't have any problems with my knees, never have as of yet although my balance leaves alot to be desired when I try to do lunges or free-standing squats.

Answer:

First, nutrition is the most important thing for you to get started with. That will determine your fat loss success. Please read Dr. Mohr's report in the TT Fat Loss package.

As for strength training, it helps boost the metabolism, and sculpt the body. And intervals help burn more calories.

There are no studies that I know of that use strength training and intervals for fat loss in morbidly obese subjects. Unfortunately, almost all of the studies using this population have to do with gastric bypass surgery. That certainly says a lot right there for our quick-fix society. But it is great that you are interested in doing things naturally.

I recommend that you get on track with your nutrition, and simply start easy with some exercise. Don't go too high in volume, as you might get overuse injuries. Strength training helps to protect against injury - another reason why it is a must in fat loss programs.

Today's second question comes from my last contribution to Men's Fitness magazine...I'll be back writing for Men's Health starting in the Dec. 2006 issue.

Q: When I do cardio, how long should my intervals be to burn the most fat?

Answer:
There's no magic number to shoot for with intervals - just vary your intensity so that you attack your body's metabolism in different ways. Alternating two interval sessions per week should cover it.

In the first one (call it Workout A), hop on the treadmill and warm up for five minutes. Sprint and maintain your speed for 60 seconds, then back off to a brisk walk for another 60 seconds.

That's one interval. Perform six to eight intervals, and then do a five-minute cool-down.

The second interval workout (Workout B) should be done on an exercise bike. Again, warm up, and then pedal as fast as you can maintain for 30 seconds. Slow down to a light ride for 60 seconds - that's one interval. Perform six intervals.

Alternate Workouts A and B for a total of three sessions per week. So you might do Workout A on Monday, B on Wednesday, and A again on Friday, and then pick up the next week with Workout B on Monday.

You can do intervals with a weight workout or on a different day entirely, but don't go too crazy...it's probably a good idea to avoid two interval days back-to-back.

Each interval session slightly stresses a different energy system in your body - the delivery mechanism of the ATP chemical energy that makes your muscles work and causes more calories to be burned. By working both, you have a comprehensive arsenal for beating belly fat.


And now over to more Q'n'A from Lyle McDonald - from his site: www.bodyrecomposition as well as from his guest column at The Facts About Fitness

Q: I have a question about core muscles. I don't feel like I have control over the mid section of my body. At times, it seems like it doesn't engage. There is differing opinion of what the core muscles are (some say pelvic floor, and others will include shoulder muscles). What are the core muscles to you, and how is it best to exercise them?

Answer from Lyle:
Core muscles refer to a whole passle of muscles that surround the center part of the body.

Unfortunately, recent fads about core training have tended to focus on single muscles instead of everything.

In no list of importance, we have:
Rectus abdominis, obliques (interior/exterior) and transversus abdominis (TVA) in the front.
Quadratus lumborum to the side of the spine (obliques also stabilize in this plane).
Multifidus and other spinal extensors in the back.

In addition, we might include the latissimus dorsi and gluteal muscles (which stabilize the lower back by tensioning the lumbodorsal fascia), and the pelvic floor at the bottom.

Based on your description, there's really no way for me to give you much in the way of advice. Weird stuff happens with injuries. Jull and Hodges in Australia have made a big deal out of transversus abdominis misfiring with injury, while other groups have focused on multifidus firing with injury.

Perhaps the best book in this regard is Stuart McGill's Ultimate Back Fitness, which addresses various exercises to best train the various core muscles while sparing the lower back (especially the lumbar spine) from harm.

His big three are
Modified crunches: rectus abdominis/obliques/transversus abdominis
Side planks: obliques/quadratus lumborum
Birddog/quadruped exercises: low back stabilizers

Hitting at least those three would go a long way towards ensuring proper core activity and stabilization. McGill addresses other issues (such as sports performance) in the book I mentioned. See www.Backfitpro.com for the book.

Q. I am a 48-year-old woman and have been working out off and on for most of my life. My question is, I have been working out for the last 3 months as I have developed a lower stomach pooch over the years and am trying to rid myself of the ghastly beast. I have always been a very healthy eater (mostly seafood and chicken, lots of veggies and no sweets) and I drink a lot of water. In my 3-month span of working out, I have been walking 3 miles, 4- 5 times a week, lifting barbells every other day along with crunches, sit-ups, reverse bicycle crunches and crunches on the exercise ball and some standing pushups. I am starting to see some definition in my arms and legs and even seeing less of the love handles on my sides, but that pooch is there and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Answer from Lyle:
Nothing except being impatient. Body fat tends to be lost from the body in fairly predictable patterns. And lower abdominal fat is one of the last areas to go (in women, hips and thighs take even longer).

Just keep doing what you're doing. As you continue to lose body fat, eventually the stuff on your lower abdomen will go. Note also that a lower abdominal pooch can be caused by poor posture.

Many women have their pelvis tilted forwards (as a consequence of wearing high heels/having breasts) and correcting the posture can help flatten the area.

Paul Chek has an excellent (and inexpensive) little book called Awesome Abs that has some good exercises for correcting this postural issue.

****That's it, hopefully it all helps. Again, check out Lyle's site www.bodyrecomposition as well as from his guest column at The Facts About Fitness

Every tip helps,

CB

P.S. Turbulence Training is for moms, clients, men & women...

"My husband and I purchased your Turbulence Training program a couple of months ago to use with our clients. As we read your approach to fitness, we agreed with it completely, and were willing to give it a try. I decided that if I was going to train my clients with this program, I needed to do it myself also. Wow! I have been a Certified Personal Trainer for 7 years and I have not seen any other program that works as quickly or effectively. I recently had my first baby, and have been working to lose the last of the baby weight. I am no couch potato, and I just ran my 5th marathon, but I couldn't seem to get all the weight off- even with training for a marathon. Within 3-4 weeks of doing the Turbulence Training program, I lost the last 8 pounds, and am now happy to be at my pre-pregnancy weight- and stronger than I was before. I increased my protein, tracked all my food intake at fitday.com, eat much more "raw, natural" foods, did Turbulence Training 3 times a week, and have been doing an extra day or two of cross training to get ready for marathon #6. The great part is even my clients are seeing results- and quickly. They like the "work harder, but in less time" approach, and I like the full body exercises and core training that I feel is so important for them to get. You have a good thing going here! Thanks for sharing."
Annette Allen
Click HERE to get started with your Turbulence Training workouts today!


fat loss workouts, cardio, intervals, core training, core exercises, workouts, fat loss

No comments: