Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bench Press Tips to Bench 300

Advanced Training Tip: When I was at my strongest (310 bench, 225 for 14 reps at 190lbs), I benched twice per week. Heavy, low reps on Monday and 5x5
with 225 on Thursday (along with a lot of upper back and assistance work). That system worked AWESOME for me...BUT of course, it is rough on the shoulder. However, it was still my best bench program.

That system should help any guy struggling to go from 275 to 300.

One more training tip about benching...I also used a lot of board pressing, often in place of regular flat bench. Allowed me to use more weight with a reduced range of motion and built up strength that was assisted by the full ROM 5x5 later in the week. That was with a training partner. Whenever I trained by myself, I simply used my foam roller and stuck it under my shirt to simulate a 3-board press.

The key is to train smart. That's a lot of benching, but I built up over time.

Here's how you can use "smarter training" for results:

Look at your body like a science experiment. Add a stimulus. Measure response. Adjust as needed. One variable at a time when possible. Find out what is working. Don't just "do more for the sake of doing more".

Today's Workout for me is, unfortunately, not a bench press workout because of an irritated left shoulder...so it went like this:

1A) Stickups
1B) 1-Arm Pushup on Box

2A) Seated Row
2B) DB Incline (75x3x8)

3A) Bodyweight Triceps Extension
3B) DB Curls

The left shoulder is a little messed up but should respond well to some Active Release on Friday at the chiropractor. I've been traveling too much and haven't been able to get in for regular treatment. So I'll be getting it fixed on Friday and switching up this workout next week.

Today's kickbutt mindset tip:

Blend persistence with experimentation. Stay with your goal but don't beat your head against a stone wall. Try new approaches. Experiment. And never, ever, EVER give up on something that is important to you.

Get stronger,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS
Meathead Turbulence Training Workouts
 

PS - Check out the powerful responses...

...to my quick questions on my blog here:

=> Tell me about your next 12 months

No comments: