Thursday, September 03, 2009

Bally the Dog vs. the Morning Workout

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I usually do some type of bodyweight or sprinting workout, but this morning, for only the second time in his 33 dog years  (and 3.5 human years), Bally the Dog didn't want to eat breakfast. He stuck his down near the bowl, but then came up with out eating and did a little whimpering.

Must have been something he ate in yesterday's garbage run that he went on at the park with the dogwalker.

So I called up the Queen West Vet, and they had an opening right away, so we went...

...and he puked in the waiting room.

Honestly, I think that cured him. That and all the cats in the waiting room. They got him all back to normal.

But I also got him some medication - oh,and he also had an ear infection, so he needed that trip to the vet anyways.

When we got home, he was back to normal and has been eating like a champ all day.

I also stumbled across an article on calculating a dog's age...thought it was worth sharing this:

According to this, Bally the Dog and I are almost the same age!

"The official formula, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association, equates the first year of a medium-sized dog's life to 15 years of a human's. The dog'...s second year equals nine years for a human. And after that, every year feels like five for a dog.

=> Click here to calculate your dog's age

But he's still a lot shorter than me,

Craig

PS - The vet was raving about how good Bally was looking, and he weighed in at a lean, mean 65 pounds.

PPS - I finally did some stretches and Convict Conditioning stuff...

...around 6pm. Mostly stretches. My legs are sore from squats. But I also managed 6 handstand pushups.

6 comments:

Splash said...

Remember to stretch Bally out before a run. He can put his front paws up on your chest, do a rollover on the floor, and then teach him to bend around and touch his tail (cookie in front of the nose, lure to tail).

Those of us who compete with our canine athletes are really big on conditioning both members of the team.

-- teammate of a future agility star, watch for us on ESPN

Stuart said...

You've inspired me to incorporate more bodyweight exercises into my training program. I started doing handstand pushups recently...started with 2, then 5, and now I'm up to 3 sets of 7 (with one set of toes on wall for balance). My goal is by next summer to be able to do handstand pushups without any assistance.

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the Convict Conditioning book this fall. I plan to do that after I compete in the Men's Health Urbanatholon in October.

Rock on.

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Stuart, you're way better than I am with handstand pushups. Killer stuff!

Stuart said...

Craig, I have to give props to Jim over at beastskills.com. Someone mentioned his site in one of your earlier posts when you started talking about doing handstand pushups, and i decided to check it out. There are great tutorials for handstand pushups and other crazy bodyweight feats.

I've also benefited by doing more yoga, especially the headstand pose - Salamba Sirsasana.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

Hey guys,

I LOVE Turbulence Training, especially all the new ideas and cool little directions you bring to the table! I'm also nuts about the bodyweight work you've been doing, but TBH I'm nowhere near what you or Stuart can do in the handstand work. I'm 220lbs and lucky to be able to hold myself on locked arms without collapsing. But I'll get there ;)

I really liked the prison squats you showed us in a previous blog vid tho...now I do ALL my body weight squats the way you showed--hands behind head!!! I guess it's this way because a prisoner has their hands cuffed?? Either way, I find my squat form is better when I do it your way.

I also love your stories about poor Bally the dog!

Keep writing the best fitness blogs around, and we'll keep reading--my goal is 2 have a six pack like yours! One day!

Shaun (Lancashire)

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Great stuff Shaun, you're going to make huge changes!