Monday, August 03, 2009

Total Body Workout & Truth About Junk Food

Spent the weekend in Independence, Ohio, at a seminar...did a little bit of training on Friday, took Saturday completely off, and then did Convict Conditioning Sunday morning. I hit a new personal best of 3 handstand pushups.

Got back into Toronto at 6 and slipped over to the gym to deadlift - since I missed last Friday's regular deadlift workout. Just did deadlifts and nothing else for a quick 20 minute workout. Good times.

Today I got back on track with this workout...

1) Hang Clean

2A) Chinups
2B) DB incline press

3A) Pistols
3B) Dips
3C) Bodyweight Rows

4) Overhead squats

In between sets I also did a total of 50 pushups. On the Turbulence Training forum we have added a new challenge to see how many pushups and chinups you can do for the month of August.

Elite Men's Score is: 1000 pushups and 300 chinups

Elite Women's Score is: 300 pushups and 50 chinups

So that's total for the month. Feel free to update your status on the forum or here on the blog. And train safe of course, don't do anything outside your ability.

After my workout I made a blender drink: 1 banana, strawberries, blueberries, mango, almond milk, peanut butter, spinach, sunflower seeds. Tasted like banana mango. it was okay, nothing special.

I also joined a friend for tea and she wanted me to share her brownie with her. I had two bites and that was enough.

I used to love chocolate brownies, but I've found the longer you go without eating junk, the less you enjoy junk food when you try it again. So try and make it longer and longer without eating junk. Baby steps everyday...try to be better than yesterday. Tomorrow, be better than today. Its not complicated.

That's the truth about junk food,

Craig

PS - Join us at TT members here!

8 comments:

Martin Robert Hall said...

Hi Craig

You give great advice on simply healthy nutrition and I follow everything you say.

I came across this article though and wondered what you thought about it and if you have ever tried it?

http://doubleyourgains.com/muscle-building-diet-plan

I have heard about intermittent fasting, just wondered what your thoughts are on it and if you would do it or have done it for gains?

Be great to hear your thoughts on this. My goal at the moment is to add about 8lbs of lean mass and possibly burn a bit of fat if possible.

Cheers

Martin. Manchester. England.

Dee said...

I think you are right regarding junk food and food you use to eat in general. I use to eat alot of fried stuff and I no longer do this and when i try to do it now it leaves me feeling bloated. Once you adopt healthy eating habits there is no turning back!!!

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Hi Martin, I am a fan of Eat Stop Eat. It has helped a lot of TT users get great results.

Simon said...

Hi Craig,

I wonder if you could help a confused newbie.

I am a medical student who has, by complete fluke, stumbled across your TT website. I really struggled to work out consistently last semester so your programme sounds perfect.

What I'm confused about is you have so many websites! The website where you sell the program, the TT members forum, this blog. Essentially what I'm asking is - where do I start? Should I buy the programme from turbulencetraining.com or join TTmembers.com? Apologies for my complete ignorance.

Cheers,

Simon.

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong at all with an occasional brownie, or treat.

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Hi Simon,

Get started here:

http://www.TurbulenceTraining.com/trial-offer.shtml

Thanks!

Martin Robert Hall said...

Hi Craig

Interesting you like the eat stop eat. How would you recommend I incoorporate it for putting on muscle but no fat?

I have also read about protein deprivation for this. i.e. just eat fruit for a day to reduce reliance on protein and then up protein in following days.

What would you say is best method for putting on lean mass?

Thanks so much

Casey said...

A few summers back I somehow found the will power and skipped out on all junk food. Bascially if I didn't make it, I didn't eat it.

The results were incredible but then the ugly truth reared its head... Going back was b&*^%. I went to Sonic on a date and spent the rest of the evening doubled over in agony.

So what did we learn? Keep just enough junk in your diet so it doesn't ruin your dates!

Just thought I would share. :)