Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Vitamin C and Muscle Soreness

I'm taking 3 grams of vitamin C per day in an experiment to avoid getting a cold this winter. I usually get one per year, often after a trip. So far, so good.

And this might be all in my head, but I'm experiencing less muscle soreness than usual, even though I'm having some of the best workouts of my life...even with slightly higher volume, too. So while I've never believed that any supplement or nutrient can decrease muscle soreness, I feel like something is going on.

I also know that lots of research shows a decrease in muscle damage from nutrients, but no study I have reviewed reported a decrease in muscle soreness. Unless I missed it.

After yesterday's deadlift workout, I expected to be sore in the legs, glutes, and upper back, but there was only a little soreness in the upper back. Today I did...

1A) Bench Press - 255x1, 265x1, 275x1, 280x1
1B) Seated Row - 200x3x8

2A) DB Press - 95x7, 80x8, 65x2x10
2B) Pullup with Kneeup - 8,6,4

3A) DB Incline - 60x2x6
3B) Face Pull - 3x12

4) BB Curl - 65x12, 75x8, 65x8, 65x12

Lots of fun,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS
Click HERE to follow my DIET on Twitter 

2 comments:

MuscleMonsters said...

Great post, thanks for the great Weight lifting tips Keep up the good work

Projeto VocĂȘ Feliz said...

Keep up the good work!