Friday, July 27, 2012

Success vs Struggles

Success comes in spurts.

You'll do all this work and feel like you're getting nothing and nowhere...nothing, nothing, nothing...and then suddenly, WHOOOOOSH. Success. It comes in spurts. Never give up.

If you're struggling…if you've lost your job or gone through recent stressful situations, please remember: People don't love you for the job you have, the car you drive, the clothes you wear, or anything...but for you being you. I made this mistake many years ago...I made a situation worse by being really hard on myself because I had my self-identity wrapped up in a certain role that I lost. I was embarrassed and shut out a lot of my friends. That was the WRONG thing to do. I should have relied on my friends because they loved me...just as your friends love you. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask. Never forget that everyone has problems, stress, etc. No one is perfect. We all fall down. But we must all get back up as well. Stay strong. Love those that love you. Be the person that you are meant to be.

"Enjoy life. Treat it as an adventure. Care passionately about the outcome, but keep it in perspective. Things are seldom as bleak as they seem when they are going wrong – or as good as they seem when they are going well. Lighten up. You'll live longer." – Dave Kekich

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer

PS - From my friend and mentor, Mark Ford:

"You get upset about something. It is all-consuming. But you know, deep down, it's not that important. Perhaps this will help. While you are counting to ten, ask yourself these two questions:

1) On a scale of 1 to 10, how much is this bothering me?
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, how important will this seem to me in five years?

Example: My issue with a certain client who is not listening to my advice.

How much does it bother me now? 8
How much will it bother me in 5 years? 0

Asking these two questions reminds me that this is a temporary problem, one I can easily fix by allowing the client to improve or by dismissing him. With that in mind, I can relax."

1 comment:

George Adventures In Health said...

I like that last question. It's a bit like the one I use with clients in relation to worrying:

'If you can do something about the thing you're worrying about, do it and stop worrying. if you can't do anything about it, you can't do anything about it, so stop worrying. Either way, stop worrying'.

I love it, even for the rare occasion when I worry...

Cheers
George