By Rommel Acda
Too many people work long hours in the office (or home office), and never get the chance to get in a workout before or after work.
They have the same old excuse I hear on a daily basis: “Work is so crazy right now; I just can’t fit it in!” But then they complain that they’re gaining fat and feeling miserable.
I don’t get it, and quite frankly neither do they.
My schedule is busy too, but I’ve freed myself from the dogma of the 45-60 minute workouts that I used to preach and is still preached by most fitness professionals and fitness books. My workouts are now fast, effective, and more fun compared to when I would sit there and wait my “60-90 seconds” between each exercise. How boring!
There’s a lot of evidence that now supports that shorter, but smarter workouts are proving superior for not only burning fat, but for getting fit fast. Don’t get me wrong - it’s not always about being “in a hurry”. There are times when we all need to slow down and relax, but that’s another post.
Okay, so let’s get to it! Here are two “ladder” protocol workouts that I use when I’m crunched for time.
“Ladder” workouts are great because it creates a compounding effect that’s effective especially if you don’t have easy access to equipment. It makes the exercises feel more intense without having to add weight. However, in the future if you need more resistance, you can add bands, dumbbells, or kettlebells to the mix.
Ladder Workout # 1 (bodyweight only)
- Two exercises: Stationary Lunge and Pushups
- Perform three compounding sets of each exercise as described in the table below.
- All exercises in each set are performed back to back without rest. All three sets constitute one round and will take approximately 2 to 2 ½ minutes to perform.
- Rest 60-90 seconds, then if you’re up for it perform one more round.
- * Perform your reps as fast as possible, BUT with good form. Use common sense.
- 5 Stationary Lunges (left leg)
- 5 Stationary Lunges (right leg)
- 5 Squats
- 5 Pushups
No rest [UTF-8?]– move to set 2
- 10 Stationary Lunges (left leg)
- 10 Stationary Lunges (right leg)
- 10 Squats
- 10 Pushups
No rest [UTF-8?]– move to set 3
- 15 Stationary Lunges (left leg)
- 15 Stationary Lunges (right leg)
- 15 Squats
- 15 Pushups
* For more advanced fitness enthusiasts rest for 60 seconds then perform one more round.
Ladder Workout # 2: Perform one giant set of these three exercises using the same protocol from sample 1.
1) Jump Squats
2) Band Pull-aparts [UTF-8?](you’ll need a medium to heavy fitness band)
3) Staggered Pushups
Give these a shot, do it right, then let me know how you feel tomorrow! You’ll feel great not only from the workout, but from knowing you saved yourself an hour in the gym!
Rommel Acda, Muscle Activation Techniques Specialist, Certified Strength and
Rommel Acda is a real world fitness and fat loss expert in Kirkland, WA who has helped hundreds of people lose stubborn body fat. Visit his new blog at
http://www.fitinahurry.com/, the busy person’s resource for effective time-crunched workouts.
Rommel is also the co-creator of Strong and Sexy Boot Camps, Seattle/Eastside's Premier Fat Loss Boot Camps for Men and Women. If you live in the Seattle/Eastside area, check out Strong and Sexy Boot Camps at http://www.element5fitness.com/.