Sunday, March 08, 2009

Friday Night Fire

My home almost burned down on Friday night. Here's the crazy story...

Late Friday evening, after I had recorded this week's TT fat loss coaching call, I went out for my weekly reward meal with friends to a local pub/restaurant.

I had an amazing chicken thigh stuffed with bacon and brie cheese, accompanied by vegetable ravioli and pan fried mushrooms. Plus, I had my usual Friday night cold beer (Alexander Keiths was the brand, for those of you keeping score).

I was only gone 90 minutes...

...but by the time I got back to my building, there were 8 fire trucks and 3 cop cars on the street, and firefighters and cops were swarming throughout my building.

In the 90 minutes I was gone, time one of the condo units on the 3rd floor managed to catch fire, and the sprinkler system flooded both the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Fortunately, I live on the 5th floor so there was no water damage...

BUT...

As I walked in, one of the police officers said, "Hey buddy, you should probably just go open a window in your place and then go for a walk. All that smoke in here is bad for your lungs."

Then it hit me...Uh-oh! Bally the Dog was upstairs by himself! His poor little doggy lungs!

So I flew up 5 flights of stairs, burst into my condo, and was relieved to be greeted by a barking and happy dog.

Fortunately, the smoke hadn't collected in my unit, but we still opened all of the balcony doors and went for a long, late-night walk through the neighborhood.

Everything is back to normal now, but it reminded me to be grateful for everything I often take for granted. Couldn't imagine losing my lil' pup or my place.

And there's a lesson here for you too.

Recently on the TT forum, there have been a couple of folks who have concerns about their progress.

Like many people who start a fat loss program, they got off to an amazing start, losing 5-10 pounds in the first 2 weeks. But now they are "only" losing 1-2 pounds per week.

And they are worried.

But they shouldn't be.

Instead, they should be grateful about the great results they have achieved so far.

They should be grateful for the life-long healthy habits they are building each day.

Little things like that which will add up to a belly fat-free lifestyle for the rest of their lives.

So let's be grateful today. For the little things. The small improvements. The habits we are making. The bad habits we have
dropped.

And let's keep living the TT lifestyle day-in and day-out, doing short workouts and eating delicious, whole, natural foods.

Stay safe and be grateful for all that you have,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS

PS - If you want to get maximum results in a short amount of time...

...one of the secrets to success is social support.

You need to have someone to talk to. Someone to encourage you on tough days. Someone to tell you that what you are doing is the right thing, even when others at work and home give you a hard time.

Please join us on the TT forum.

PPS - I just added a "Home Video" tour of my house and where I do some of my workouts.

I invite you to come into my home...just watch the video on the TT Member's site. You'll get some great home workout tips.

=> Click here to try TT for less than 5 bucks & get a 3-month free TT Membership

14 comments:

zevenesh said...

dude, glad u and Bally are safe brother. A cold Beer sounds great - the chicken sounds good to, ha ha

See you soon CB!

--z--

Anonymous said...

Craig,
My heart skipped a beat when you mentioned your dog possibly being subjected to the smoke. My dog (Coda, golden retriever) is my world and I would be crushed without him. Glad to hear no damage to your place and that Bally the dog is well.
~ Vic

Unknown said...

Ohmygosh! So glad you still have a home and that you are both ok.

Andy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy said...

Nice to see you were away from harm's way, there Craig. And good to see Bally was ok...

Great post...definitely need to count our blessings and appreciate the simple things in life that mean much to us.

Again, great post.

Andy

Isabel De Los Rios said...

Craig - so glad to hear everything is ok and what a wonderful reminder to be grateful for EVERYTHING!

I think if I came home and there was a fire and my 2 pooches were home by themselves, I might have passed out on the spot. Yeah, I'm a girl, we're drama queens ;)

Isabel

FitAndBusyDad said...

Glad to hear you and Bally are alright.

You're absolutely right about the little things that we take for granted. We should all be reflective and be thankful for what we have.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are both safe mate! Definitely hear what you say about taking nothing for granted.

Holly Rigsby said...

Craig and Bally - I am so glad you are both safe. Yes, moments like these take your breath and then make you stop and be thankful for all the gifts in your life.

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Thank you everyone!

Anonymous said...

Craig,

Like everyone else, the story struck a nerve when you mentioned Bally. I have two dogs myself and it would crush me if anything bad happened to them.

I glad you're both safe and still have a place to rest your heads.

Cheers,
Darryl

SB-Gal said...

That's awesome that nothing happened to you or your home.

We recently experienced our home burning down in a wild fire and let me tell you - it sucks. Nothing messes up a good fitness routine than a fire. We got our child and animals though :)

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

so sorry to hear about that, SB-Gal. Glad everyone is safe, that's what really counts.

Stay strong!

Craig

andrewjameslowry said...

Craig,
Be glad that you live in a building with automatic sprinklers. They may very well have saved your building or at least many units. They contain the fire to their source and produce less water damage than fire hoses. I trust your insurance policy is up to date and includes coverage for all of your business materials. I am glad to hear that Bally was fine.