Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Vinny D and PowerHouse

What a great day down here in Tampa, Florida. It started with an early wake-up, and then hours dedicated to writing the Certified TT Trainer newsletter. That was followed by meditation, and then a snack of cacao balls (seriously!) and a BioTrust protein shake.

What the heck is a cacao ball? It's a snack made from cacao nibs that was brought to me by Gustavo Rosello, a Certified Turbulence Trainer from the Dominican Republic. He attended our Live TT Certification on the weekend, and is a big time Go-Giver. He bought a box for all of our Master TT Trainers at the event. What a Go-Giver of a guy! Thank you Gustavo!

There's some caffeine in the cacao nibs, and they give me a lot of mental energy. After that I picked up my good buddy from Canadia, Vince Del Monte. Vinny D is such a good guy. He's a go-giver, value adder, and muscle building expert for the skinny guy.

We train quite differently, so once we arrived at Powerhouse gym in Tampa, we each went our separate ways. My workout was a little out of order because all the squat racks were taken, but eventually I got everything done.


1A) Bench Press
1B) Pullups

2A) Barbell Squats
2B) DB Incline Press

That was it. I do a lot of sets for each. I stick to the basics, focusing on building strength. After training, I grabbed a shake of chocolate protein and a banana, waited a few minutes for Vinny, and then drove back to my friend Joel Marion's house.

Not interested in meathead training?

Try this great conditioning circuit instead:
- http://www.earlytorise.com/666-workout/

Tomorrow I return home to Canadia, where I'll spend the next week out on the farm with Bally the Dog. Then it's back down to Florida for 2 weeks on February 17th, and then a week in California at www.FitnessBusinessSummit.com. If you are a trainer, you MUST be at this event!

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip comes from virtual mentors...

Gary Vaynerchuk & James Altucher on this podcast:
- http://www.stansberryradio.com/James-Altucher/Latest-Episodes

James: Gary, so tell me how you’re involved in so many things, how do you find the time to spend with your kids?  Talk a little bit about your family.
 
Gary:       
Extremities. 

I’ve won in 2013, this is by the far the year of my most happiness with how I’ve done it, and I’ve done it through extremities.  Let me explain.
 
I was half pregnant before.  I’d be working, and then I’d be, wait a minute, I need to spend more time with my family and I would just leave and cancel some meetings and get home at 5:30 and bathe Misha and spend some time with Lizzy. 

But there was no system.  It was very helter-skelter.  It was just a philosophy of like, wait a minute, when I can remember, or how do I fight for it.  I need to fight for it.  It didn’t work.
                                  
What I did was I went extreme.  I went to my strengths. 

I now work 8:00 a.m. to midnight.  And I mean I walk into my apartment at midnight, not I get home at 8:00 and I work on the computer.  I work 8:00 to midnight Monday through Friday, James.  I really do.  I mean it’s the truth.  I’m a workaholic.  There is no confusion by that.
                                    
On the flipside, my weekends, I’m completely all in on my family now.  No looking at the phone and answering e-mail.  Maybe a little bit of these last two out of five weekends because of the book, but I would say 50 of the 52 weekends, 48 of the 52 weekends this year, I will be 100 percent all in.
                                    
On top of that, instead of the two and half to three weeks of vacation that I’ve taken every other year of my life, at least the last ten years, I took 7 weeks this year, a lot more time with Lizzy and the kids.  I’ve been able to get a lot more quality time with my family and get a lot of quality work in, which is something that I’m passionate about.
 
James: I see.  So you sort of like pack it in. you kind of turn off the phone on Friday night and pick it up again Monday morning, or something like that.
 
Gary:                          
It’s been a hundred and zero to the best of my ability.  The vacation time has been ridiculously incredible.  It’s very easy for me to tune out.  And on the weekends, I was really like let me get an hour in.  Let me do this.  In five minutes, I’d look at my phone 15 times when I was at the park with my daughter. I’ve been able to cut that out and be really focused on family.
                                    
And so do I spend as much hours as somebody listening right now is saying, “Wait a minute.  Eight to twelve?  I mean he is out all of Monday through Friday.  You have the weekend.”  So am I around as somebody who gets home at 6:00 and spends time?  I’m not.  But for the hours that I am, I’m dramatically more tuned in.

***
Life is not about traditional balance.

It's about making life work for you.

Do what's right for you.

Do it,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer

No comments: