Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Women in the Gym

Last week I was visiting my hometown of Stratford, Ontario, and I popped into the gym for a workout. Now I used to workout at the YMCA in Stratford as a teen, and I spent hours there each week (learning valuable lessons, including why you shouldn't do bodybuilding workouts 6 days per week).

And everytime I return to the "Y", it's like stepping into a time machine. Half of the gym members are still doing the same workouts they used in the 80's and 90's. The form was just dreadful in so many exercises, with the worst being the deadlift form.

I watched two women round their backs like a rainbow as they lowered the bar. So sad to see a great exercise ruined because someone didn't properly teach this exercise. (And magazines are to blame sometimes as well, I've written articles where we've had to toss some of the accompanying photos because the fitness model was doing the exercise with brutal form).

Whatever you are doing in the gym, never round your back. So when you squat, deadlift, or do dumbbell rows, maintain a slight arch in your low back.

And don't stop using good form once the exercise is over. If you're picking up dumbbells off the floor (or picking up toys at home), squat down and avoid rounding your back.

I also recommend avoiding sit-ups and an excessive amount of crunches. The benefits aren't worth the risks.

Back to my gym visit...about 20 minutes through my workout, a young woman of about 45 came in and started doing a superset of split squats and dumbbell chest presses.

I was very impressed. AND she had a training journal to record her sets, reps, and weights.

You know what, I bet this woman succeeds and meets her goals. As we've said many times before, recording your workouts is a key to success so that you can refer back to what works and what doesn't. Plus, it keeps you on track.

Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed when she started doing dumbbell triceps kickbacks. I think these are one of the most useless dumbbell arm exercises in the world. You'd be far better off doing some version of the pushup - that would give you more total body results.

Next week, I'll give you 3 tips on how to improve your push-ups and chin-ups,

CB

PS - So today's 3 lessons were...

i) Don't round your back when lifting.

ii) Keep a training journal for motivation and direction.

iii) Avoid isolation exercises, and choose total body movements to get more results in less time.

The Turbulence Training programs follow all of these principles, and more, to help you get strong, sculpt your body, and burn fat in only 3 workouts of 45 minutes per week.

www.grrlAthlete.com
www.TurbulenceTraining.com
www.TTmembers.com

6 comments:

Kevin Larrabee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Lifting 6 Days a week, that was exactly what I was doing as a senior in high school. It funny that I kept doing that until I found TT.

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

yep, every high school boy does that...unless they have a good coach.

CB

Kevin Thow said...

About your comment with sit-ups/crunches...I did TT on Sunday, then a Capoeira class on Monday.

The Mestre (Master) made us do 600 sit-ups/crunches at the end of the class and my lower back and stomach killed...

After reading so many articles by yourself and fitness writers about how sit-ups affect your back, I wonder why so many people still make you do it.

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Unfortunately, most trainers just don't know better. You have to read boring training books to get this information, and most trainers are not willing to put in the effort.

They just want to exhaust clients and students, rather than actually training them for improvement.

Thanks for reading.

CB

Unknown said...

AMI high performance Oxygen Analyzers, O2 Sensors, Monitor, and Deficiency are guarantee to be higher quality and exceptional service at a lower price H2S Analyzers