Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Squat and Bench in Denver

I had a good squat and bench workout today at a gym in Denver.

I'm now on a new program, and I'm taking my training more serious than ever before.

I've always been serious about my workouts, but hanging around John Romaniello and his wife, the inimitable Neghar Fanooni, this weekend showed me I need to get serious about my results, not just about doing the training.

I will be changing things up, and taking my nutrition and recovery (sleep) serious. The window of opportunity for me to get stronger is closing as I get older. I feel young as heck, but the reality is my physiology is changing to make everything more difficult.

Today's workout was:

1A) Squats - Will be using Jim Wendler's 5-3-1
1B) Box Jumps - 4x4
1C) WYLIT on ball - sets of 10 as warmup for bench
1D) Pushups - easy sets of 12 as warmup for bench

2A) Bench Press - Will be using Jim Wendler's 5-3-1
2B) Pullups - 5 sets at 50% of max reps

3A) DB Press (rest pause) - 25 total reps
3B) Leg Curl (rest pause) - 40 total reps
3C) Chest-Supported Technogym Plate Loaded Row (rest pause) - 40 total reps

There were a lot of warm-up sets and bodyweight movements performed in circuits to get started and throughout the workout to cut down on training time, but I was still in the gym for 60 minutes.

I will be doing two long gym workouts per week requiring barbells (the other will focus on the Deadlift and Military press). I will also be doing two gym or garage workouts per week requiring only dumbbells, kettlebells, TRX, and bodyweight exercises.

And I'll have three recovery days of walking ol' Bally the Dog for a little extra time.

This will all be well documented here. Stay tuned.

Now here's something controversial...

"The notion that someone can be obese yet still healthy is a myth," says researchers at Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital. "We are telling people and doctors that it is not OK to be obese, even though you don't have metabolic abnormalities," Dr. Catherine Kramer reports. More details here:
- http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/healthy-obesity-a-myth-review-finds

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tips:
Take full responsibility for your environment and behaviors. Everything you do sets you up for success or puts another obstacle in your way.

Here are two important articles for you to read:

1) How my hero Terry can help change your life
- http://www.earlytorise.com/it-is-not-too-late-to-start-this/

2) How to Give to Receive More in Life
- http://www.earlytorise.com/how-to-receive-more-in-life/

"One person gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed."- Proverbs 11:24-25

Stay generous and strong,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer

PS - 'He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.' - Epictetus

1 comment:

George Godin said...

I will definitely try the workout you have posted here. I am so sure that I will be very fit if I do this.