Friday, December 27, 2013

Garage Gym Workout Awesomeness Crushes Cardio Boredom

Awesome garage circuit workout with kbs and slam ball.

Slam balls are a fun addition to the home gym (they are essentially medicine balls that don't bounce).

I just need to get a tire, a sledgehammer, a sled/prowler for pushing and pulling, squat stands, a barbell, and rubber coated plates. Then it will be Nirvana.

Here's the 6-minute circuit I did for 4 awesome rounds until sweat was dripping off me in the 65-degree (Farenheit, 16 celcius) garage this morning.

1) KB Off-Set Front Squats (1 side heavier than the other) - 20 reps
2) Slam Ball Overhead Power Slams - 20 reps (toughest part of the circuit)
3) KB Swing - 20 reps
15 second water break
4) KB Close-Grip Pushups (grip handles of kettlebell and emphasize triceps) - 20 reps
5) KB Deadlift or TRX Row - 20 reps
6) Power Wheel Rollout - 20 reps

It sure beats cardio. Yet people still think they need to do long, slow boring workouts on a machine. Not true!!! Just say NO to cardio. I literally wrote a book with that as the title. Read this article for details:
- www.TurbulenceTraining.com - thanks!

And for folks that want to argue about the importance of cardio for your heart, just stop. I wrote this a long time ago (and I also have plenty of interval videos on youtube)
- www.TurbulenceTraining.com/intervalreport

Don't overcomplicate things...all exercise, from bodyweight circuits to walking to resistance training to 20 minute cardio sessions are good for your heart.

Finally, a question from a Facebook member:

Q: Craig, thoughts best way to approach your program when wanting to cut mid-section as a main focus and build overall upper body strength. 50+ old guy in good condition and healthy weight. I'd like to achieve 12% BF levels this year. How would you suggest the best way for me to achieve. I have a lot of your books and programs but not sure where I should step in to start to achieve what I'm looking for and for the fastest results. Thx. - Scott

Answer:
Use Turbulence Training from TurbulenceTraining.com. Use Advanced, then Expert, and then use this program

- http://www.turbulencetraining.com/workouts/2007/april2007ttmass.shtml

OR start with that program and then use TT Advanced and Expert.

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tips:
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou

"Figure out what you want. Find people who have achieved it and find out how they think and act, and then follow their lead." – Bill Harris

Alright, off to work on some ETR essays. I really think today's was a good one, make sure to check out the #1 book I recommend you read for your career
- http://www.earlytorise.com/the-best-advice-of-the-year/

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer

PS - "I am not failing. I'm growing. I'm getting stronger." – Tommy Caldwell, mountain climber

--
www.TurbulenceTrainingFanpage.com

No comments: