Friday, December 27, 2013

Garage Gym Workout Awesomeness Crushes Cardio Boredom

Awesome garage circuit workout with kbs and slam ball.

Slam balls are a fun addition to the home gym (they are essentially medicine balls that don't bounce).

I just need to get a tire, a sledgehammer, a sled/prowler for pushing and pulling, squat stands, a barbell, and rubber coated plates. Then it will be Nirvana.

Here's the 6-minute circuit I did for 4 awesome rounds until sweat was dripping off me in the 65-degree (Farenheit, 16 celcius) garage this morning.

1) KB Off-Set Front Squats (1 side heavier than the other) - 20 reps
2) Slam Ball Overhead Power Slams - 20 reps (toughest part of the circuit)
3) KB Swing - 20 reps
15 second water break
4) KB Close-Grip Pushups (grip handles of kettlebell and emphasize triceps) - 20 reps
5) KB Deadlift or TRX Row - 20 reps
6) Power Wheel Rollout - 20 reps

It sure beats cardio. Yet people still think they need to do long, slow boring workouts on a machine. Not true!!! Just say NO to cardio. I literally wrote a book with that as the title. Read this article for details:
- - thanks!

And for folks that want to argue about the importance of cardio for your heart, just stop. I wrote this a long time ago (and I also have plenty of interval videos on youtube)

Don't overcomplicate things...all exercise, from bodyweight circuits to walking to resistance training to 20 minute cardio sessions are good for your heart.

Finally, a question from a Facebook member:

Q: Craig, thoughts best way to approach your program when wanting to cut mid-section as a main focus and build overall upper body strength. 50+ old guy in good condition and healthy weight. I'd like to achieve 12% BF levels this year. How would you suggest the best way for me to achieve. I have a lot of your books and programs but not sure where I should step in to start to achieve what I'm looking for and for the fastest results. Thx. - Scott

Use Turbulence Training from Use Advanced, then Expert, and then use this program


OR start with that program and then use TT Advanced and Expert.

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tips:
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou

"Figure out what you want. Find people who have achieved it and find out how they think and act, and then follow their lead." – Bill Harris

Alright, off to work on some ETR essays. I really think today's was a good one, make sure to check out the #1 book I recommend you read for your career

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer

PS - "I am not failing. I'm growing. I'm getting stronger." – Tommy Caldwell, mountain climber


No comments: