Thursday, October 23, 2014

185 challenge workout from J-Roc

On Monday, while I was in Toronto for some meetings, and a fancy dinner at the Ritz Carlton, I finished up my latest 4-week heavy lifting program. I hit the deadlift hard at my favorite Goodlife Gym down by the Air Canada Center. That means I'm now into a 7-day 'deload' week where I mess around with workouts.

Today's workout was a challenge day combined with some chin-ups. My best friend Jay Roc recently did the 185-challenge (max reps with 185 for Deadlift, Squat, and Bench in that order).

I decided to copy him, but step it up a little with 2 new exercises. And let me tell you, the squats after the deadlifts are tough!

Do one exercise and then warm-up for the next...there was no set time limit between moves. Maybe I'll formalize the challenge with that in mind.

I didn't train to failure, as I had no spotter, but I was going to the edge of good form (stopping before any reps got ugly).

Frankly I was disappointed with every score. I will redo this again in a couple of days, and I know I will beat every level because I have that benchmark of this first workout. The Deadlift and Squat are mind over matter. I'll crush them next time. I remember doing 225 for 20 reps of deadlifts back in the day. I know I can do so much more.

1A) Front Squat - 185 x 5
1B) Deadlift - 185 x 25
1C) Squat - 185 x 15
1D) Bench - 185 x 8
1E) Chinups with extra weight to be at 185 lbs - 12 reps

I did 100 squats and pushups in warmup, and 75 total chinups in the workout. Adding that to yesterday's
workout of 250 squats, 200 pushups, 75 TRX rows, 75 burpees gives me:

350 squats
300 pushups
75 chinups
75 TRX Rows
75 burpees

875 reps

Here's another challenge for you...I plan on doing it next year.

My 40th birthday workout posted on Men's Health
- http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/workout-you-should-do-once-year



Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:
"There will come a point where doubt and fear will attempt to overtake your heart. The voices in your head will tell you to stop. They will try to tell you to quit. They will try to tell you that you can't go any further. Don't listen to them. Look within yourself and find your courage. Find your heart. Believe in yourself. When you think you can't go any further just take one more step. Keep moving forward. Keep breathing. Keep fighting. I promise you that you'll make it. You are too strong to fail. No matter how dark the storm the sun will always shine again. Brighter than ever." – Robert MacDonald, from Gym Jones

Challenge thy self,


Craig Ballantyne, CTT

***
12 week cumulative total:

15,000 Bodyweight Squats
  • 11,785
10,000 Pushups
  • 8419
3,000 Bodyweight Rows
  • 2793
2,000 Pullups
  • 1001
1,500 Burpees
  • 1236
1,500 Chinups
  • 590
333 Handstand Pushups
  • 285
= 26,149/33,333 reps

No comments: