Sunday, January 28, 2018

Squats and Old-School Sunday

Got fired up today reading "Relentless" by Tim Grover, the strength coach to Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and so many other legends.

What a career he's had.

It's an interesting book... not for the easily offended.

The book is about the mindset of a high performer in all areas of life, but focuses on what made Jordan and Kobe different.

It's easy to say, "Oh those guys were born that way..." or "That doesn't apply to me (as a father, mother, employee, etc.)"

But there's no value in dismissing the lessons.

Today's section fired me up to train harder. I still remain somewhat "lost" in my physical goals... but taking Saturday off allowed my groin to feel great, and so I walked 45 minutes to the YMCA.

Why did I walk?

Because I have no car and my small town does not have UBER, and the taxis in my small town are in horrendous condition and smell like cigarettes.

At the gym I ran into an old high-school chum who happens to be a physiotherapist and he gave me some advice on my golfer's elbow issue (which was totally different advice than another expert gave me, LOL).

Anyways, it was a good session:

1A) Squats
1B) 1-Leg Hops onto a Bench

2A) Leg Curl
2B) Core Training
2C) Mobility

Walked home. Stopped at the grocery store. My best friend's mom was in line in front of me complaining about the price of potato chips.

I smiled. She didn't recognize me until I introduced myself.

Guess the crazy-old-bearded-man look is working. ;)

Alright... Let me leave you with some text from the book...

Do. The. Work.

From @attackathletics on page 38 of Tim Grover's book, "Relentless":

"Do. The. Work. Every day, you have to do something you don't want to do. Every day.

Challenge yourself to be uncomfortable, push past the apathy and laziness and fear.

Otherwise, the next day you're going to have two things you don't want to do, then three and four and five, and pretty soon, you can't even get back to the first thing.

And then all you do is beat yourself up for the mess you've created, and now you've got a mental barrier to go along with the physical barriers.

You have to do those things or you can't improve, you can't be the best, and you sure as heck can't call yourself relentless.

Bottom line if you want success of any kind: you have to be uncomfortable being uncomfortable. Every time you think you can't, you have to do it anyway."

Do. The. Work.

Right now.

Tag someone that needs a lil' tough love. 




Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:
Go deeper.

Ask uncomfortable, squirm-on-the-inside, next level questions that uncover the truth. An answer is only as good as the question asked. Don't hold back. Dig deeper. They want you to.

And you'll be glad that you did.

Talk soon,

Craig


No comments: