Saturday, December 29, 2018

Post-Christmas Training and Reading

Yesterday was a great workout. The day before, not so much, but I also was able to deadlift on Christmas, so that was cool. And it was a White Christmas. I spent the day reading and eating, and over the holidays finally had the chance to finish some great books... and order a lot of new ones. Seems like every book I read leads to buying two more. Haha.

Ones I have ordered:
  • A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
  • Work Party by Jaclyn Johnston
  • The Ultimate Sales Machine by Chet Holmes
  • Legacy - About the ALL Blacks
  • Blitzscaling by Reid Hoffman of Linked In
The "done" list included:
  • Principles by Ray Dalio
  • Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari (also the author of Sapians)
  • Prediction Machines (about AI)
  • Creating Magic (about leadership at Disney)
  • Traction by Gino Wickman
  • And a re-read of my favorite, "The Art of Living" - a translation of Epictetus' teachings
One of his translated teachings is this, and it applies to training!

"Remember: You will never earn the the same rewards as others without employing the same methods and investment of time as they do. It is unreasonable to think we can earn rewards without be willing to pay their true price. Those who "win" at something have no real advantage over you, because they had to pay the price for the reward." - Epictetus

Let's go back over some workouts...

First, I overdid it with the hang cleans on Tuesday and my forearm DOMS is bad... it nearly got worse with some of the KB moves I did on Thursday:

1a) KB 1-Arm Press
1b) Band Pull

2a) Floor Press
2b) Loaded Overhead Carry

And then yesterday's lower body blast:

1a) Front Squat
1b) Box Jump

2a) BG Split Squat with Weight Vest (my NEW favorite exercise)
2b) Rocking Plank

Today ... something.

Aiming for a New Year's Day Deadlift session...

Talk soon!

Craig

PS - One more quote from Epictetus for you... wise words for any troubles that lay ahead...

"If a neighbor's child breaks a bowl, we readily say, 'These things happen.' When your own bowl breaks, you should respond in the same way as when another person's bowl breaks... Carry this understanding over to matters of greater emotional input and worldly consequence... Remember how you feel when you hear the same thing concerning other people. Transfer that feeling to your own current circumstances. Learn to accept events, even death, with intelligence." - Epictetus




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After the holidays, I a lot of my time in the gym and I'll make sure that more on mobility training so I can maintain my weight and body.