Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I Don't Know How They Do It




With apologies to Mr. Willie Nelson...



"On the road again...but I can't wait to get back home again."



Well, this week I'm in beautiful Baltimore at a 3-day seminar, and all I can say is, "I don't know how they do it".



And by "they", I mean parents with little kids. I can't imagine how hard it would be to leave your kids at home and go out on business trips each week. Must break your heart if you have to do that.



Because for me, its a struggle just to leave my lil' chocolate brown pup at home. Heck, I have to trick him into just letting me get out the door without him following.



Here's how I do it...



I get a couple of treats, make sure I have all my bags packed and over my shoulder, and then I throw the treats on the floor across the room and I make a mad dash for the door.



And I don't turn back to look at him up on his back legs, paws on the window of the door, looking at me as I get in my car.



That would just suck me back in for another quick pet, and then I'd have to give him more treats.



So that's how I make my escape. And then I try not to think about him too much when I'm gone.



But I don't stop thinking about my fitness and DIET when I'm gone.



However, most guys and gals use travel as an excuse for eating junk and skipping workouts.



But travel is NO EXCUSE for bad body behavior.



All it takes to succeed is a little planning. In fact, here's what I've done to stay on track while spending time in the airports and stuck in 13-hour per day seminars.



1) I packed apples, raw cashews, dry roasted almonds, peppers, and cut-up broccoli into a cooled pack to take with me and get me through the first day and a half of my 4 day trip.



I got this idea from one of the fitness models I interviewed for Oxygen magazine. And yeah, at the time I thought it was "overkill", but not anymore. Not when you travel a lot.



You'll feel so much better eating real food than the processed sandwiches you get at airport counters, or the high-carbohydrate snacks on the plane, or the cheap, white-flour based meals you get in hotel restaurants.



Most people don't plan ahead, and they end up in airports bored and hungry. Probably more bored than hungry to be honest, and when a bag
of M&M's is only 10 steps away and you have 90 minutes to kill, you know it's only a matter of time before those 2 little cartoon characters are in your hands and melting in your mouth.



And all those people eating airport meals, I just don't know how they do it. You never end up feeling better after eating that stuff.



2) Exercise early or late.



I don't like getting up at 5:30am to exercise, but I needed to do some light stretching before breakfast, and that's what I did.



At night, I did my real workout. Now I don't like working out at 9:30pm either (I prefer lunch-time), but when that is the only time you have, that's what you do.



In fact, it was a pleasant change from the butt-numbing sitting marathon I did all day today, from 8am to 9pm. Tomorrow will be more of the same, so it was great to get moving.



(I did Workout B from the upcoming July TT DB-BW Combos Workout. If you are a Turbulence Training member, you'll be first in line to get that workout on July 1st.)

=> Click Here to get your 3-month FREE TT Membership as part of the TT Trial Package



So overall, you have to plan ahead and know when you are going to do your fat burning workout.



Yes, I know it is a lot easier to get back to your room and "CRASH", and flip on Larry King or ESPN, but if you want ADVANCED results you have to take ADVANCED action.



That's the politically-incorrect truth.



3) Make substitutions when ordering restaurant food.



Eventually, my food runs out and I have to get room service or hit a restaurant. But it is not hard to get salmon and broccoli. All you have to do is ask.



To be honest, I have no idea how the other folks I was with could sit all day and then eat a cheeseburger and fries. Plus, they ate at least two large chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon.



And I just know that they are going to be complaining about their weight this summer at the beach. No matter how much pleasure the cookies gave them, it could not wipe away the guilt on their faces.



This is a common mistake people make all the time...they give in to a moment of pleasure now and sacrifice days, weeks, and months in the future because they just don't want to plan ahead and succeed.



The other day I was talking with someone who lost a lot of weight, and they simply said they started to succeed when they changed their mindset about food.



They no longer thought of food as their one and only source of pleasure in life. Instead, they now think of food as fuel for their bodies.



And that's exactly what it is.



So don't put sugar in your gas tank,



Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS



PS - I don't know how HE did it...



But Juan Ruiz just became the first person to lose OVER 100 POUNDS with Turbulence Training.



You can see photos of his incredibly powerful 9 month transformation here:



=> Click Here to see Juan Lose 100 Pounds



If he can do all of this while raising his son on his own, and while going to school and quitting smoking, what's stopping you?



Click Here to get started with Turbulence Training:
=>
http://www.TurbulenceTraining.com

No comments: